Dr Boom Communications and its subsidiaries (“Dr Boom”) recognise that your personal information is important to you and that you are concerned with its collection, use and disclosure. Dr Boom, like other companies operating in Australia, is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) which set clear standards regarding these activities.
Why does Dr Boom collect, hold, use, and disclose personal information?
Dr Boom collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information for a number of purposes connected with our business operations, which include:
- providing you with products and/or services you have ordered/purchased.
- dealing with requests, enquiries, complaints, consumer guarantee or warranty claims, and other customer care related activities.
- marketing our products and services and providing advice on our products.
- developing and improving our products and services.
- in connection with our loyalty or reward programmes and competitions.
- the operation and administration of accounts or subscriptions that you have with us.
- payment processing.
- processing a refund or exchange of a product.
- carrying out certain checks (for example, for our fraud or theft prevention processes, if you wish to open an account with us, obtain credit from us, collect goods from a Dr Boom warehouse or storeroom, or pick-up goods in-store that have been ordered online).
- interacting with companies or organisations with whom Dr Boom has a business relationship (where you work for, or otherwise represent, such an organisation);
- reconciling payments due to Dr Boom from suppliers in relation to goods or services provided to you by those suppliers.
- purposes relating to any third-party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in Dr Boom or its assets.
- complying with our obligations under agreements with third parties (for example, under our authorised dealer arrangements with consumer finance providers); and
- carrying out any activity in connection with a legal, governmental, or regulatory requirement that we must comply with, or in connection with legal proceedings, crime or fraud prevention, detection, or prosecution. Dr Boom is required by law to collect personal information in certain circumstances, including:
- if you trade-in goods (under, depending on the State or Territory in which you are located, the Second-hand Dealers and Pawnbrokers Act 2003 (Qld), the Second-hand Dealers and Pawnbrokers Act 1996 (SA), the Second-hand Dealers and Pawnbrokers Act 1994 (Tas), the Second-Hand Dealers and Pawnbrokers Act 1989 (Vic), the Consumer Affairs and Fair-Trading Act 1990 (NT) and related regulations); and
- if you activate pre-paid mobile telecommunications services in a Dr Boom store (in accordance with the Telecommunications Act 1997 (Cth) and the Telecommunications (Service Provider – Identity Checks for Pre-paid Public Mobile Telecommunications Services) Determination 2013).
We may also use and disclose your personal information for other purposes related to those described above which would be reasonably expected by you.
Documents (including hard copy documents and electronic documents such as emails) which coincidentally contain personal information will also be retained in accordance with Dr Boom’s normal document retention practices for accounting, legal and business purposes.
Generally, you have no obligation to provide any personal information requested by us. However, if you choose not to do so where we require this information, we may not be able to provide you with the goods and services that you want or deal with a request, enquiry, or complaint that you have.
What personal information does Dr Boom Communication collect?
The kinds of personal information we collect or which we may hold about you may include:
- your name.
- your address.
- your date of birth.
- your telephone number(s).
- your e-mail address.
- payment information.
- financial information such as your bank account details.
- transaction information.
- your username and password.
- details about your earnings (if you are buying products using a finance plan);
- information contained on identification documents (such as driving licences) and, in some specific cases, copies of such identification documents, where we require these to verify your identity.
- information on how you use our products and services.
- your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, server address, domain name and information on your browsing activity when visiting one of our websites.
- your username for social networking sites that you use, to refer to, or in conjunction with, our goods and services and personal preferences regarding products and services; and CCTV images of you whilst you are in one of our stores.
How does Dr Boom collect and hold your personal information?
We collect personal information in several ways including:
- when you order goods or services from us (either online, in-store or over the telephone).
- when you collect goods that you have ordered from us, including from a Dr Boom warehouse or storeroom.
- when you set up an account with us.
- when you purchase certain products or extended warranties from us.
- when you buy goods on lay-by or “duty-free” goods.
- when you pay for goods by cheque.
- when you request for a refund or exchange of a product.
- when you subscribe to our catalogues or mailing lists or those of certain partners of ours such as Stack magazine.
- when you subscribe to Dr Boom subscription service.
- when you sell second-hand goods to us or buy second-hand goods from us.
- when you enter competitions or promotions that we run.
- when you provide us your details for customer care purposes;
- when you submit an enquiry using one of our websites.
- when your complete surveys or provide online feedback or product reviews; and
- when you publicly comment about us on social media sites (for example so that we can answer questions about our products); and through the closed-circuit video cameras located in our stores, when you visit one of our stores.
Generally, Dr Boom will collect your personal information directly from you. However, Dr Boom also holds information, collected incidentally, concerning individuals who work for companies or organisations that have a business relationship with. Additionally, if you apply for a job with Dr Boom, we may collect personal information about you from any third parties that you nominate as your referees in your application.
Dr Boom holds personal information in several ways, including:
- as part of customer records and other electronic documents on which personal information is contained which are stored on our information technology systems and servers operated by third parties who provide services to us in connection with our business; and
- by securely storing hard copy documents on which personal information is contained, at our various premises and using third party document management and archiving services.
We may use your personal information that we have collected to promote and market products and services to you, including through methods such as email and SMS. We will not use your personal information for marketing purposes where you have opted out of receiving such communications.
Please note that when you create an account with us your details will be added to our marketing database to receive information relating to Dr Boom and our products. You may also choose to receive such information by subscribing to our marketing database via one of our websites.
How to unsubscribe
To opt-out of receiving Dr Boom marketing materials, you will need to unsubscribe from our marketing database.
- Emails: Select the 'unsubscribe' option in one of the emails that you've received from us to unsubscribe from email marketing, this option can usually be found at the top right or bottom of the email. Please note that if you have an account with Dr Boom, we may still need to send you essential information about your account.
- SMS: When we send you marketing communications by SMS you will be able to opt-out from SMS marketing by texting STOP to the number in the SMS we sent you.
Alternatively, you may opt-out of receiving marketing communications by submitting a privacy enquiry.
Sharing your personal information
Dr Boom may disclose or receive personal information or documents about you, including to/from:
- organisations that provide services to us in connection with our business, including customer support, payment processing, administration, archival, data storage, hosting, research, mail and delivery, installation, distribution, logistics, marketing, auditing, share registry, consulting, financial and legal advisory, banking, debt collection, security or technical services and the operation of Dr Boom websites. In some cases, these service providers may collect your personal information on our behalf.
- manufacturers and distributors of goods.
- if you return goods to Dr Boom to be repaired, third parties including our repairs system administrator, the manufacturer of the goods and authorised repairers.
- law enforcement agencies to assist in the prevention, investigation, and prosecution of criminal activities.
- parties involved in any third-party acquisition or potential acquisition of an interest in Dr Boom or its assets.
- our insurers and insurance brokers.
- if goods you purchase from Dr Boom are subject to a product recall, the manufacturer or distributor of those goods; and
- to other third parties where you have specifically consented to the disclosure of information to these third parties.
Additionally, if you return goods to us on which personal information is stored for repair (for example, on a mobile phone or computer) and do not delete that personal information, Dr Boom will send the goods to the repairer. By returning such goods to Dr Boom for repair, you consent to Dr Boom disclosing any personal information contained on the goods to the repairer, by way Dr Boom sending the goods to the repairer.
Personal information collected on behalf of other parties.
Dr Boom may collect information about you on behalf of third parties. For example:
- information collected for finance providers such as Zip Pay, After Pay and Latitude Finance if you wish to purchase goods on finance.
In these cases the documentation that you sign will set out how the personal information that you provide will be used by these third parties and the privacy policies of the third parties will apply. Dr Boom may also receive personal information or documents about you from these third parties where necessary in connection with the provision of goods or services by Dr Boom.
How we deal with your personal information if you apply for a job with us
If you apply for a job with us, you may be required to provide us with certain personal information, including your name, employment and educational background, and other personal information which we may require you to provide, or which you choose to provide us, in relation to your job application.
We will hold, use, and disclose that information solely for the purpose of considering your application. In considering your application, it may be necessary for us to disclose some of that information to third parties to verify the accuracy of that information. In such circumstances, we will disclose only such information as is necessary in the circumstances.
In considering your application, we may also collect personal information about you from any third parties that you nominate as your referees in your application.
Security of your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we hold is stored in a secure environment protected from misuse, interference and loss and any unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
How to access, correct and update your personal information
Upon your request, Dr Boom will provide access to your personal information that we hold (except in certain circumstances set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)). Dr Boom reserves the right to charge you an administration fee of $25 for providing access to your personal information and will, of course, require some proof of your identity before providing information to you.
You may also request us to correct the personal information that Dr Boom holds about you. If you do so and we are satisfied that, having regard to a purpose for which the information is held, the information is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, Dr Boom will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to correct your personal information to ensure that, having regarded to the purpose for which it is held, the information is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading.
To request access to the personal information that Dr Boom about you, or to update or correct that personal information, please submit a privacy enquiry.
- if you are a subscriber to our marketing database you can also update your details via the “unsubscribe” option in one of the emails that you receive from us.
- if you subscribe to one of our services you can also update your details via that service.